She has worked with Vopak Asia in the terminals sector, Eastport Maritime in the liquid bulk shipping sector, and with Drewry in both the advisory as well as publishing businesses. She holds a Master’s degree in Applied Economics from the Singapore Management University and a Bachelor’s degree in Communications Studies (Journalism Major) from Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University. At Drewry, Melissa has worked on a number of port and bulk shipping market studies, due diligence assignments both for lenders and private equity investors; industry assessment for IPO listings of shipping firms, as well as, freight benchmarking and shipping strategy projects for charterers.
Project experience – Bulk Shipping
- LAB export logistics study. Led market study for a Saudi Arabian chemicals manufacturer on bulk shipping possibilities for exporting its products to target end-markets. Project helped the client to review and enhance the cost effectiveness of its existing shipping arrangements in assess further COA considerations.
- NW European chemical tanker market study. Led project for a global producer of differentiated chemicals to develop further understanding of the business environment for its shipping requirements. Project provided advice on suitable approach for running its COA tender.
- Methanol freight benchmarking study. Led project to develop shipping cost model for Middle Eastern methanol producer to benchmark its freight expenses and optimise its shipping cost in consideration of its market position against its broader business environment and conditions.
- Freight procurement and shipping strategy study. Team member for a project that developed comprehensive shipping plan and freight procurement strategy for a leading alumina refinery company in UAE. Assessment of freight rate forecast, vessel selection and shipping strategy for caustic soda (feed-stock component) from different sourcing locations to UAE.
- Indonesian coastal shipping market study. Team member for a project advising an investment outfit on various business opportunities in the Indonesian coastal shipping market. Project assisted client in identifying attractive market segments for potential investment.