Global container terminal operators benchmarking study
Client: A Chinese shipping and terminal development business
A Chinese shipping and terminal development business was seeking to transform itself into an independent global common user terminal operator and requested Drewry’s assistance to help identify operational and commercial best practices and performance metrics.
- The client took the decision to develop into an independent global common user terminal operator. In order for the client to successfully transform itself, the industry leader was selected as a model for evaluation/comparison. This study would identify and analysis the gap between the two.
Benchmark and compare the following areas:
- Parent company’s mission, value, vision (MVV), structure, development history, financial performance.
- Terminal company’s MVV, organisational structure, development history, terminal portfolio - global terminal network
- Terminal efficiency
- Financial performance customer portfolio
- Business strategy and key drivers
- Investment process
- Conduct gap analysis
- Mission, vision, values
- Business strength – vs status quo
- Business target
- Organisation structure
- Position within parent company
- Organisational structure and functionality
- Business strategy (Investment, Commercial, Operational, Portfolio)
- Study the best of the industry – their operations and structure.
- Identify gaps between the two parties
- Provide recommendations to bridge the gap
This project allowed us to objectively analyse the gap with the world’s leading container terminal operators and identify concrete areas of improvement. It also helped guide our future planning and improvements to the management and operation of the company
Managing Director, (Shipping and terminal development company)